Below are our current openings. All jobs are based out of the Crisis Text Line office in New York City. If you’d love to work here and you don’t see a role that’s a good fit, impress us over email (email@example.com) and we’ll keep you in mind for relevant opportunities in the future.
- Program Associate
- Data Analyst
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: New York City
The Program Associate is joining CTL at a critical point in our growth. Earlier this year, CTL started a remote volunteer pilot where counselors can work from home, and after just 6 months, we are seeing tremendous results. We’ve gotten over 1,000 applicants to join the program, and our remote volunteers are some of the best counselors across the entire country.
Your job is to massively grow this program so we can support more teens to get the help they need.
Specifically you will:
- Recruit thousands of potential new volunteers via social media, info sessions, marketing partnerships, celebrities, and collaboration with student groups and others
- Utilize a wide range of tech tools to communicate with trainees, partners and other stakeholders
- Support the overall remote recruitment and training infrastructure- e.g., updating the system with new trainings and assessments, collecting and incorporating feedback from trainees, updating our databases
- Be a start-up jack-of-all-trades, providing support to CTL’s Executive Director across all areas of the organization
- You are hyper organized. Even your sock drawer is organized.
- You are passionate and enthusiastic – you have lots of experience roping people into your ideas.
- You are obsessed with learning and feedback. You’re constantly figuring out how to be more awesome.
HOW TO APPLY:
Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Program Associate Application” and your resume attached. Answer the following questions in your cover letter:
- Why do you want join Crisis Text Line? Why do you want to join a start-up?
- What’s an example of how crazy organized you are?
- What’s an example of how you never give up when you’re really passionate about something?
First round applications due October 31st.
Reports to: Chief Data Scientist
Location: Flatiron District, New York City, NY
What is Crisis Text Line (CTL)?
Millions of teens are quietly suffering every day. They struggle with bullying, homophobia, suicidal thoughts and more. The solution is beautifully simple. We provide crisis intervention services to teens via a medium they already use and trust: text. And we use insights from our work to develop and share innovations in prevention, treatment, and long-term care.
CTL is a not-for-profit tech start-up, born from the rib of DoSomething.org. We launched in select cities across the U.S. starting in August 2013.
The Data Analyst’s role at Crisis Text Line is to be the smartest person in the room – not because he/she always know the answers – but because he/she know how to find the answers. At its core, Crisis Text Line is a data-informed organization. Every strategy conversation begins with what does the data say, whether from competitive analysis, academic or industry research, or our own data.
The Data Analyst’s day-to-day role is to analyze large and fast moving data sets and detect changes in our users’ behavior. His/her goal is to inform (1) product iterations and pivots, (2) organizational strategy, (3) how CTL shares data. A successful candidate will possess strong skills in analytics, statistical programming, and/or qualitative research, and a steadfast sense of curiosity. Finally he/she should have passion for sharing insights with staff, institutions, and the public. Ultimately, our data must drive behavioral change.
I. Strategy and Implementation
- Work with staff and third parties to improve the quality of data collection, analysis, and sharing.
- Use data to collaboratively build products and features with cross-functional teams
- Contribute to development of a long-term data strategy for Crisis Text Line
- Work with tech team to organize data systems and automate analytical reports
- Inform data strategies with insights from social psychology, gamification, machine learning, etc.
- Use data to inform all parts of CTL’s strategy, from marketing to HR
II. Collection and Analysis
- Analyze and report on data that will improve (1) prevention, (2) treatment and (3) long-term care of teens in crisis.
- Work with large, complex data sets
- Design A/B and multivariate tests, track findings and future tests
- Manage regular and ad hoc reporting requests
- Conduct qualitative usability research, including usability testing, observation, and interviews
- Analysis of competitors and partners / benchmarking data analysis
III. Sharing and Storytelling
- Release data to: (1) the public (2) researchers and policy makers and (3) crisis hotline partners.
- Present data insights, analysis techniques, and organizational structure to 3rd parties
- Facilitate sharing of data to and from CTL and its partners and collaborate to determine how groups can act upon the insights
- Strong sense of curiosity
- 2+ years of relevant experience and deep experience in at least one of the following: web analytics, usability testing, quantitative or qualitative research, statistics, A/B testing
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to work with and interpret data and to transform it into actionable steps
- Ability to improve on current measures of success (metrics)
- Experience in creating visual dashboards and reports
- Excellent written and communication skills for effective presentation of data
- Advanced computer skills (Excel a must; familiarity with one or more of the following: SPSS, R, Python, MySQL or similar)
- You are currently learning a new skill in data analytics or research
- You are currently learning a new skill that has nothing to do with data analytics or research
- Masters or Bachelors degree in math, statistics, economics, psychology, sociology, or related field. Salary is based on experience.
- 3 weeks vacation plus the week between Christmas and New Years, fun office environment, a spot on our summer kickball team, occasional brownie bake-offs. Plus, you don’t have to come to work on your birthday (but we’ll probably bake you cookies if you do)
- A competitive salary on a not-for-profit scale plus a competitive benefits package
- Crisis Text Line is an equal opportunity employer
How to apply:
Email your application to Bob Filbin at email@example.com with the subject line KEEP IT SIMPLE and your resume attached. Answer the following questions in the email:
- What are 2 of your favorite blog posts in the last month (as it relates to this position)?
- What has been the biggest data ‘win’ you’ve had at an organization or personally?
- What are three metrics we should use to measure the success of a conversation between a counselor and teen in crisis? (And what data would we need to collect to use that metric?)
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.