Crisis Text Line now accepts Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies through The Giving Block, which allows nonprofits to directly receive your holdings as tax-deductible contributions. Your donation will make a difference for people in crisis and help us to build a more empathetic world where nobody feels alone.
How can Crypto donations make a global impact?
The mental health epidemic is increasing worldwide and unfortunately existing models to address mental health needs are broadly outdated, expensive, and slow. The growing scope of the problem is visible across the board, from the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) in the US, to the United Nations (UN) and World Health Organization (WHO), which collectively highlight:
- Over 53 million people in the US and nearly 1 billion people globally experience mental illness annually.
- Suicide is the second leading cause of death for ages 10-34 (including college students) in the US.
- Self-harm is among the top five causes of death for men and women ages 15-29 worldwide (including war, disease and malnutrition).
- 25% of people globally (~2B) will experience mental illness in their lifetime.
It is clear that we are in the midst of a mental health crisis. We need scalable, high-quality, low cost solutions to meet people where they are. The global pandemic highlighted how important it is that we begin to talk about mental health as a key pillar of healthcare and fight for new resources and solutions for everyone.
As of today, Crisis Text Line is one of the only models of a mental health crisis intervention service that is able to scale to help meet our global mental health needs because of three main factors:
- Volunteer Crisis Counselor network of over 48,000 people by the end of 2021
- Tech that enables more humans to help more people more efficiently and effectively, and
- Nuanced insights on trends regarding types of crises and texter demographics that help illuminate inequities and advocate for and help more people in crisis.
Together, we are poised to scale our work to reach more people in the years to come, and we are grateful for the partnerships and community we have built thus far to position us well for this next phase.
Donating cryptocurrency is a non-taxable event. Donors do not owe capital gains tax on the appreciated crypto that is donated and can typically deduct the fair market value of the donation on their taxes. This often makes Bitcoin, Ethereum and other cryptocurrency donations one of the most tax efficient ways to support your Crisis Text Line. If you want to learn more about how donating crypto can lower your taxes, check out thegivingblock.com/faq.
All cryptocurrency donations made via The Giving Block are non refundable. Crisis Text Line does not, has not, and will never offer any form of cryptocurrency airdrop, goods or services in return for a donation.
Donors Please Read:
Please only send the exact cryptocurrency listed on the blockchain mentioned on the widget. Do not send any other cryptocurrencies (including layer 2, wrapped tokens, NFTs or other ERC-20 tokens not listed) as these are unsupported and may result in loss of donation. For more info, click here.
Crypto donations can make a big impact, and Crisis Text Line has a lot of innovative strategies and exciting opportunities for crypto donors to get involved. If you want to learn more about how a major gift through crypto can make a difference, please email Ashley Dittmar, our Director of Development at email@example.com.