#LyricsToLiveBy: Ten Self-Care Anthems You Need
Few things help us feel connected to ourselves or to each other more than music. It’s science, really. Research by the pros has found that listening to and playing music can have game-changing mental health benefits including helping ease symptoms of anxiety and depression. Plus, our texters have spoken, and listening to their favorite tunes is one of their most popular coping mechanisms.
So, whether it’s the perfect lyrics to reassure you on the hardest of days, a melody that gets stuck in your head in just the right way, or a fandom that help you feel connected to others across time and space (helloooo, Harry Styles fans!), music heals.
This summer we brought you a playlist of Beyoncé #LyricsToLiveBy (because it was her birthday, obvi!). Now, get ready, because we’ll have a fresh playlist coming for you on the regular. We’re getting started with a round-up of all of our favorite songs about self-care. No, we’re not talking tunes about a perfect spa night or mani/pedi date. We’re talking about the anthems that remind you to put yourself first. Because taking care of you will help you show up for the world bigger and better in the long run. You can’t pour from an empty cup. So, pour yourself some tea (or water—you do you!), queue up Spotify and recharge with us for the next hour.
- “Lose You To Love Me,” Selena Gomez. The newest self-care anthem on the block, Selena’s new single is all about making room in your life to love yourself first.
- “Alaska,” Maggie Rogers. All about prioritizing yourself and moving on from toxic relationships, literally walk it out with Maggie Rogers. You and I, breathe deep—there’s air in between.
- “Lights Up,” Harry Styles. The newest self-care and self-love anthem on the block. Step into the light with Harry Styles.
- “Good As Hell,” Lizzo. Take it from the self-love queen herself: take a deep breath and focus on you.
- “Please Help Me,” Tegan and Sara. The newest release from the duo is all about asking for what you need from the people in your life. Take a queue from them, asking for help is so, so brave.
- “Independent Women, Pt. 1,” Destiny’s Child. Queen Bey’s original cult-favorite, Destiny’s Child’s “Independent Women” is all about doing what you want to do because you want to do it. Say it a little louder for the people in the back: I depend on me!
- “Make it Right,” BTS (feat. Lauv). Sometimes self-care is all about community care. BTS’s “Make it Right” is all about what we can do for each other. I can make it better, I can hold you tighter, I can make it right.
- “Million Reasons,” Lady Gaga. Pull at our heartstrings, Lady Gaga! This stripped-back Little Monsters fan favorite is all about practicing gratitude for the good things when life feels too hard and overwhelming. Just for the record, we love helping our texters finding a really good reason to stay.
- “Scars To Your Beautiful,” Alessia Clara. A three-minute reminder that your story—with all of its twists and turns—is unique and beautiful. Take pride in the things that make you, you.
- “Dancing On My Own,” Robyn. Perfect for your night out glam dance session or your Sunday AM kitchen pajama dance, this classic is all about holding your head high and marching to the beat of your own drum—no matter who is (or isn’t) following along.