This year’s election is unlike any we’ve had in our lifetime. In times like these that are uncertain and filled with key events that will affect the trajectory of our lives, it’s normal to feel worried or anxious. And, if you’re feeling this way, you’re not alone. For months, we’ve seen people reach out to us because they are stressed and anxious about the outcome of this election. If you need support, no worries. We’ve got you. You can always text us at 741741 to reach a Crisis Counselor or message us through Facebook in the chat below.
If you’re finding it hard to cope with the stress, worry or anxiety, trying a few new self-care strategies may help you feel centered and grounded.
Here are a few self-care ideas to help you cope with election anxiety:
- Practice mindfulness. Try to focus on what physically surrounds you in order to stay grounded in the present moment. Notice things like the color of the sky, the smell of your home, and the taste of your food.
- Listen to your body. Sleep when you are tired, feed yourself when you’re hungry, honoring what you truly want to eat (pro-tip: yes, even junk food is okay sometimes!). And, exercise when your body needs to move. Endorphins are mood boosters!
- Take regular breaks from social media and do something you love. Right now, the 24-hour news cycle can feel overwhelming. Try logging off for a break and watch your favorite show or read a good book instead.
- Stick to a routine. With an entirely new way of living, it can be easy to let your routine go out the window. Do the best you can to try to stick to a regular bedtime and wake up time, eating schedule, and maintain clear boundaries around when and where you work.
- Confide in someone you trust. You never have to go through hard things alone. Try sharing some of how you’re feeling with a trusted friend or family member. Don’t feel comfortable reaching out to them? Know that you can always text us. If you need support, text HOME to 741741.
Coping with stress and anxiety is hard under most circumstances . It’s especially hard right now. We’re here for you. Give these self-care strategies a try whenever you need to recenter yourself. And, if you need support, 741741 is always here.